Business Licensing, Taxes & Resources

City of Tenino


Doing Business within the Tenino City Limits

Business Licenses

Tenino, like many cities throughout the United States, requires a business license in order to conduct business within the city limits.  This includes home businesses, internet-based business, or business transacted in Tenino, even though the business is not physically located within the City Limits.   Conducting business without a business license is a misdemeanor.  

Tenino Business Licenses are issued by the Washington State Department of Revenue as an "endorsement" to a State Business License.  Whenever a new business first registers for a State Business License, or when an existing business renews their state license, the system will prompt you to register for all locations in Washington where business might be conducted, including Tenino.

>Apply Here

Business and Occupation Tax (B&O Tax)

Like the State of Washington, Tenino also requires certain businesses conducting business within the city limits to pay the city B&O tax. The amount of the tax is levied at two-tenths of one percent (0.2%) on the gross income from business activities when such activities produce more than $20,000.00 per year or $5,000.00 per quarter; it is a direct tax on the business activity itself. This means that the tax is borne by the business itself, not the customers of the business.

Businesses are required to file a B&O tax return on a quarterly basis, whether any tax is owed or not. Failure to file a return is a misdemeanor.

Sign Code

Most businesses want to draw attention to themselves using various signs.  You can find the City's sign code here.


Doing Business within the State of Washington

State Business Licenses

The State of Washington requires anyone doing business in the state to have a state-issued business license. You can apply for a business license by filling out an online application on the State of Washington website.   As mentioned above, Tenino has partnered with the Washington State Department of Revenue's Business License Service to provide a convenient means of obtaining both a State and a City Business License.

State Business and Occupation Tax (B&O Tax)

The State of Washington requires all businesses in the state to pay the state B&O tax. You can find information on the state B&O tax on the Washington State Department of Revenue website.


Doing Business within Thurston County

County Business License

Thurston County requires some businesses to obtain a business license. You will find information on county business licenses on the Thurston County website.